Saturday, March 28, 2009

Twin Cities Burger Trip Stop #3


Stop #3 was Saturday morning March 14th. After filling up on Burgers on Friday surprising I was ready for a Burger. I grab my GPS and headed to Caspers & Runyon's Nook, The Nook as it is known. I got there just a few minutes after 11 am. There were already 6-8 tables full. I sat at the corner of the bar, which seats 10-11 people. A regular takes a seat a few stools down and asks Nicole, the bartender it they opened early? "Nope, just everyone came at once." Good sign right!!! They open at 11 and it is busy already. The grill area is tiny and 3 guys are working the grill area!! How they do it I don't know. I mean small maybe 8 x 10 area!?!? I mean you have to side-step, shuffle through the area. It is like the guys are taking small dance steps to move around. Now it is 11:15 and there is a waiting list to be seated. There is a fake water spill on the bar, I fall for it!!! I ask for a bar towel, the bartender just smiles.

The jukebox is playing anything from Classic Rock to Stevie Wonder. When she has a chance I talk to Nicole and ask what to order. She likes the Paul Molitor, which is a Lucy stuffed with Pepper Jack Cheese. I am tempted but I want to stay simple. So I order the Nookie Lucy (American Cheese) and fried onions, no fries went with coleslaw. I have other Burger stops today. By this time 10-12 people are standing in the corner and by the door waiting for tables to open, this place is packed!!

I get my order, Nicole tells me to wait a bit before I start. After a few minutes I take a bite. The cheese starts oozing out the Burger. The Burger is medium and is the way it comes unless order different, which is good. I don't like well done, which Matt's Bar does. The 3 ladies to my left are waiting for a table and are eyeing my Burger. I wave my hand over my Burger to waft the aroma towards them. The lady seated right next to me goes "Ohh that smells good!" " I can smell the onions." I have to say this is one juicy Burger and not just because of the cheese!

I make small talk with Dave, who is seated to my right. Is every guy named Dave here?!?! Once again you get little bits of information of what to try and where to go. He like me is a rookie at the Nook. He tells me to try The Gopher Bar...."If I am not Burgered out I will try." I tell him.

Overall a great place. I still cannot believe how busy it was, right away. It is a small place but still it filled up fast. So get there early if you can. Once again a neighborhood bar that makes a great burger. The place is filled with nick-knacks and beer signage. I wish I took a menu, they had some history of the place on it. My opinion is The Nook makes a better Lucy then Matt's Bar. Matt's is way to done for me. I would say go to The Nook and The 5-8 Club if your looking for a Lucy.

Next stop, The Band Box which was suggested to me by George.

The Nook
492 Hamline Ave. S
St. Paul Mn 55116

No comments: