Friday, August 22, 2008

Dotty's Dumplings Dowry


This event happen April 15th 08'

On the hunt for Burgers..... On my list Dotty's Dumpling Dowry in Madison WI. (pg. 291-292, Hamburger America, Motz) I have lived in the Madison area for most of my life. Never have I had a burger from Dotty's. Heck I probably have driven by it 100 times. Well it is April here in WI. Cool, windy and I am wishing it was June. First thing you will notice about Dotty's is the interior design of this place. From stained glass windows, to model aircraft. If you look above the Bar you feel like you are at a flea market. I take a seat at the bar and order a beer first. Yeah the big guys of beer are on tap, Bud and Miller. Take a closer look, Dotty's has 20+ taps.... so man up and try a different beer here. I went with Hoppalicious (from Ale Asylum
a local Brew House.) I then ordered my burger. The "Build Your Own." I just added mustard, pickles with a side of Fries. Just a heads up.... The serving of Cheese Curds are a meal by itself at Dotty's, like most places in Wisconsin. Now the Burger is grilled on an open flame. I order my medium (which is the standard practice here.)

I get my burger. Now I work at a Bar that serves "Flamed Grilled" burgers, so I like the taste a "Flame" gives a burger. The burger was good, you could tell it was fresh down to the bun. I have had bad burgers and I left happy from Dotty's.

Once again I have my Hamburger America book with me. Jeff Stanely the owner is not there to sign my book bummer right. Well I do get someone to sign it though...... Jeff's daughter Rachael. This opens up a conversation about burgers and the bar business. Rachael is one reason I would go back to Dotty's. She knows her stuff and is a people person. This place has been voted "Best in Madison" over 20 times by readers of Madison Magazine and Isthmus-Daily Page. I can see why...not just the good burger but the place makes you feel like you are visiting a good friend.

No comments: