Sunday, July 5, 2009

Celebrating Hamburger America, Motz style!


Well it is the July 4th weekend. What better way to celebrate then to grill out. On the Fourth I made Steaks and twice baked potatoes. On July 5th I was on a mission to grill my own burgers. I first went right to my local grocery store. I walked right passed the meat counter. I was there just to get buns. Next I go to my local butcher (Village Meat Market) but he is closed. They were open on the 4th so today was their off day. Well I know another place a quick 10 minute drive. I get to Jim's and the place is doing brisk business. I find what I am looking for ground Chuck. It says lean but I don't ask if it is 80/20. I get one pound and ask if it is ground twice, the gentlemen behind the counter says yes. I pay and I am on my way back home. Now I am planning on cooking on a gas grill. I am new to cooking on a gas grill but I am confident I will not make my burger a hockey puck. I was thinking of doing the Charcoal grill but the gas was faster. I take my ground beef and make into a ball, bigger then a golf ball, oops. The second patty was more of a golf ball size. I make a the patties with just the heel of my palm. I go out and throw them on the grill. No salt, no pepper. I use to season my patties but where I work we don't season our patties at all, we let the grill do that. 2 minutes, quarter turn, another 2 minutes and flip. Making grill marks and less flips the better. One more quarter turn and but the buns on the top rack to toast a bit. Put the buns on a plate and get the burgers on the bun. I go inside open up the fridge and take out........ NO not Ketchup! Mustard either. I grab my bottle of Chipotle Ranch!! Sure it is not the same as the sauce on a Motz Burger but it is close. Mmmmmmmm my own Motz Burger made at home. Most people would go to a fast food joint. With driving time to get beef, cook it I bet I put in 45 minutes. I could have gone the fast food way but this is more satisfying!! I plan on doing some other burgers in my kitchen, like the guberburger. I will save those for a day I need to cook inside. Today was a grilling day so I did. Can't find a burger joint..... just get some fresh ground beef and bring Hamburger America home folks.

Happy Birthday America!!

3 comments:

Hamburger America said...

Excellent..I had burgers too..

Lo said...

Can't argue with burgers for the 4th. We did steak... but burgers ALWAYS hit the spot.

PS
Always glad to find other WI food bloggers. Will add you to our "WI FOOD BLOG" list!

Wauna-burger said...

Thanks for reading and adding me to your blog list. Got hungry looking at your blog by the way!!