Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Twin Cities Burger Trip Stop #1


March 13th 2009 My first stop Matt's Bar, Minneapolis. I get there about 4 pm. I have my Hamburger America book and the bartender asks where I am from. I tell her "I am from Madison WI (Waunakee actually which is a burb' of Madison.) I told her I was up in the Twin Cities for the weekend doing Burger research. Gigi, the bartenders name, asks if i do Burger research every weekend. "No" I say. "I had some free time and wanted to visit the Twin Cities for some Burgers." " So it is a hobby then?" she goes. "Yes you could call it that." I say with a laugh.

I order and Jucy Lucy and a beer...............minutes later........my Jucy Lucy arrives. I ask Pauly the cook, "How long should I wait?" "As long as you want but take little bites to start." He tells me. I guess I followed the directions correct, I did not burn my mouth on the hot cheese!!! The bun is good and the cheese oozing out is something special. Yes I make a mess, the cheese pools on my wax paper. The cheese pooling reminds me of Solly's Butter Burger and the way the butter drips and pools on the plate. I use my Burger to wipe up the cheese before it hardens. That is all I ate at Matt's, I had to save room for another place that night.

The Burger takes longer to cook then normal, about 5-6 minutes per side. Sure the Burger is well done but the little surprise inside is worth it. It is so runny it is almost like melted butter. It got busy when I got my Burger. I would say about 5 booths were full and a table in a 20-25 minute time. Gigi told me that by 6 pm there may be a line out the door. A good sign right!! Paul gives phone orders about 15 minutes to pick up. That is a good time when there are 14-16 Burgers in the griddle (Pictured, wish it was better.) They must have served 16-18 people in a half hour not counting carry-outs.

Once again a neighborhood bar where they know your name....sounds like some lyrics to a sitcom right! Again the last few minutes I am at a place I get some good quotes/info. A man comes up to the bar to pay for his family's meal. He tells Gigi that his son (about 8 yrs old) told him that was the best burger he ever had. He told his Dad this in the bathroom!!!! The wife of the man sees my Hamburger America book and we chat a bit about what I am doing. They ask what is the best burger I have had. Now I hate that question but I answer it. I tell them "Bud's Bar in Sedalia CO and Solly's in Glendale WI." I swear I answer it different each time haha. After some more small talk I purchase some T-shirts from Matt's as a little reminder of the place stuck in the 50's. I also get my book signed by Gigi and Pauly. I have a nice collection of signatures in the book now!! If you like a well done Burger, this Burger is for you, so go have a Jucy Lucy and check out the decor at Matt's Bar.

Matt's Bar
3800 Cedar Ave. South
Minneapolis MN 55407

Next Stop #2 The 5-8 Club.

No comments: