Sunday, March 22, 2009

Twin Cities Burger Trip Stop #2


Second stop March 13th a Friday is The 5-8 Club. After leaving Matt's Bar I head South on Cedar Ave. to The 5-8 Club. It is only a 2 mile drive, quick right, not during rush hour!! I get there and the parking lot is full with overflow into the street. I park across the street at a church and enter through the back. Think Supper Club when you think 5-8. Where you enter is the "sit down area" and it is full, 5 pm and packed!!! Well I am not sitting here, off to the bar. I go to the bar and thankfully I get a seat, the last one at the bar. The small bar tables are also full. I get my beer and start small talk to the guy on my right, Nick is his name. We talk a bit of NCAA Hoops, then burgers. I tell why I am here and that I just was at Matt's Bar. I also tell him I plan on going to The Nook. He tells me that is a good place and that he goes there a lot. The guy on my left hears our conversation, his name is Dave and he joins in on the burger talk. Dave tells me that "Man vs. Food" filmed here recently (The show is on the Travel Channel) and that he got interviewed while they filmed. Now I have to DVR the show, March 25th I think, and see how he did.

After some more Burger talk I buy a round of beers for the 3 of us. Lets say Nick drank his without a thank you, talked with his friends and left. No thank you or even offer to buy a round, beer. I don't like Nick.... Dave I like!!! We chatted some more and he bought me a beer as a Thank You. He did not have to, a Thank You would have been enough. While we chat the waitstaff is thinking of what to write in my Hamburger America book. Bobbie, my bartender is a blast!!! She is a smart ass that will dish it out but will take it also (Love ya Bobbie!)

By this time I am hungry and Dave is also. I look at the menu, at The 5-8 Club you can stuff your Burger with different cheeses. Matt's is American Cheese only. I am thinking of trying Swiss Cheese. I check to see what Dave likes to order....Swiss...good! So I order a Juicy Lucy with Swiss. I also can order to my liking, not like Matt's. I order it Medium Rare and fried onions. As a side I get JOJO's. (Pictured is my Lucy and JOJO's) Dave usually gets a Lucy but not tonight. He goes with a California Cheeseburger, which is lettuce, tomato, mayo and Swiss as a cheese.

My order takes longer so Dave gets his first. Not long after though I get my order. As you can see my Lucy has a toothpick in it with a colored top. That tells the cook, staff what kind of cheese is inside. I start on my JOJO's to let my Lucy cool. Let's say the JOJO's could feed 2-3 people easily! Now it is time for the Lucy. I take a bite..... OH MY was it good!!! Cook to order, medium rare, so some pink. Not like Matt's a Hockey Puck... or well done. The 5-8 Club's Lucy was good, moist and messy!!! Bobbie asks how it was?? I say "Great, better then Matt's!" There I said it. I get so full I have a hard time finishing my JOJO's. Burger coma sets in, yep sleepy. I get a shirt from Bobbie and she and Lisa sign my book. I tell you what they wrote but that is for Dave and I to know! My meal was cheap, 5 beers (Nick you owe me one!) a Juicy Lucy and JOJO's just over $20 but my time there was priceless.

A big thank you to Dave and Bobbie for a great time I had sitting at the bar at The 5-8 Club. If you missed it I said the Juicy Lucy is better at The 5-8 then Matt's got it!!

The 5-8 Club
5800 Cedar Ave. South
Minneapolis MN 55417
612-823-5858

Next stop... The Nook

No comments: