Sunday, March 29, 2009

Twin Cities Burger Trip Stop #4


After eating at the Nook, I was off to the Band Box, downtown Minneapolis. I hop into my car, type in the address for my GPS and I am off. I miss my turned so the GPS takes me on a different route. I am sure glad I had a GPS on this trip. Every trip actually. I get to where I want to go but I don't see a sign. I drive a bit further down the block and find the Band Box. I park around the corner and go inside. This is your typical diner from way back. The Band Box is the oldest diner still in operation in Minneapolis. If my memory is correct I think it open in 1932 or is it 38'? There is just one table full, me and 3 others at the counter. The man to my right is getting an omelet.... It is huge!!! I order a hamburger that is it and a coke. Now this patty is frozen but George told me to check it out anyway. I get my burger and it is hot! Now the Burger was good, I should have gone with cheese, maybe being fresh would help also but the Band Box is Hamburger America. It is what it was like 60+ years ago. You would go to a diner or Hamburger shack, get a Burger cheap, quick by people you knew. Nowadays it is Fast Food joints with commercials and gimmicks. That is why I like to go on Burger Hunts, find a Ma and Pa joint and enjoy their Burger.

Now each Burger experience is different for me. Maybe the cook was off that day or staff. I pointed out that I liked the 5-8 Club Lucy better then Matt's Bar. The thing is Matt's has more character as a place then The 5-8 Club. I am not out to find the best Burger. I point out that I enjoyed it, it was great or it was sub par. As I posted earlier, people ask me what is the best Burger I have had.... My answer changes each time. The Burger is part of it, what else I enjoy is the atmosphere and people I meet.

Now after that Burger I go back to my hotel room to rest. I then head out to The Wienery. I saw it on the Food Network. I was about to walk in when I changed my mind. I had Burger overload, so I head back to my hotel. I actually did not eat a Burger till the following Thursday, that is 5 days without a burger, which is odd for me!

Overall a great time in the Twin Cities. I have to get back there, I learned about some new places I have to try.......Another road trip to the Twin Cities, Yes!!!

Band Box Diner
729 S. 10th St.
Minneapolis MN

3 comments:

Charlie Hills said...

Man, I haven't been that far north in a LONG time. If I ever hop on I-35 and drove 14 hours north again, I'll put this on my list!

EatWisconsin said...

Hey, I just stumbled upon your site via George Motz's blog. I love it! I have been reading through your posts and cannot wait to check out some of the Wisconsin places that I have not been to yet.

Wauna-burger said...

Charlie the Twins Cities have great burger places, too many to list. Hope you hop on I-35 soon. EatWI Make sure you get to Solly's for a Butter Burger!! I have a list of WI joints I need to get to. Hope to post soon about one.