Sunday, May 31, 2009

Lake Mills V.F.W Post No. 67




Finally the Lake Mills WI V.F.W. is open!!! I learned about this spot from George Motz and did a run with him to the V.F.W. last November. It was closed when we visited but you can get caught up by clicking here..... Lake Mills V.F.W. The V.F.W. is open only on Fridays during the summer. Memorial Day to Labor Day I would think. They open at 10 am on Friday and close... " When they run out of patties." I was told.

I got there with my girlfriend close to 7 pm on. I told her this is her first burger run, Sonic does not count!!! We get in line, yes line. There is about 12 people in line, with another 4 waiting for their orders. I guy in front of me said "It is like this at times and there are times when there is no line." The Burgers are cheap! $1.75 for a Burger and $2 for a Cheeseburger. Toppings, all you can get on it is fried onion and boy can you smell it when the wind blows just right. They write your order on a Brown Paper Bag. I order 4 Cheeseburgers, Pepsi and Diet Pepsi. The cashier writes on the bag.. 4C and "P" "DP" Which means
4 Cheeseburgers, Pepsi and Diet Pepsi, pretty simple. I should have ordered 3C but thought Amy wanted 2 also, wrong. So I put down 3 Cheeseburgers. I would say they are about 1/4 lb. They have a t-shirt that says " Have a slider with us." The Burger is large so to me it is not a slider but it is greasy so it will "slide down." I will have to get a shirt the next time. I have a couple shirts from places I visited.

We take our order and go across the street to the Park. The grease is starting to show through the bag, good sign right. Now the first bite reminded me of Wedl's in Jefferson WI. It was really peppery. I put down the 3 Cheeseburgers no problem... ok the 3rd one I had to catch a second wind. I go back to the stand and wait to talk to the cashier to get some info. An order for 20 burgers had just gone in. I don't know how they fit 5 people into this place guys!!! Yes it is that small. I ask the cashier when they open and found out 10 am till they run out.

I plan to go back. For one I have to finish research with George there and second I plan to take my Corvette Club there. Yes it is a good burger and yes it is "Hamburger America."

Burgers lovers there is a Hamburger Triangle east of Madison WI. Lake Mills V.F.W, Wedl's in Jefferson and Zweig's in Watertown. All in a short 20 minute or less drive from each other. If you have the stomach for that many burgers and time try to do the "Wisconsin Burger Triangle!"

3 comments:

Thayer Coburn said...

Sounds great--I'll have to check it out. PS For whatever it's worth, the place in Jefferson is "Wedl's", not "Wendl's".

Wauna-burger said...

Thanks for the heads up about the spelling.

Hamburger America said...

I'm coming up for sure this month. Hope you can join me.