Saturday, September 13, 2008

The Great Burger Road Trip Day 2


Aug. 5th 08'

Tuesday morning up at 7 am, turn on Sportcenter to see what I missed on the Brett /Green Bay Soap Opera. Solly's opens at 6 am on Tuesdays for breakfast and I want to catch Glenn at work. I have missed him twice!! A quick 1 mile drive down the road and I am there. It is close to 9 am and there are about 12 cars in the parking lot. I take a picture of the building (used in previous post) and head inside. There about 15 people at the horseshoe counter. I go to my left to see the grill and who is running the show.... The one and only Glenn Fieber!! Now the omelets and other breakfast goodies look good. He is even putting that good old Wisconsin Butter on the hash browns ( Mental note, get here for breakfast.) The waitress comes up and I ask "Is it too early for a Burger?!?" (I know the answer) "No" she goes. I order a Butter Burger without. "Cheese?" she asks. "Sure" I say. By now people are leaving and saying good-bye to Glenn. He knows everyone by name!

I introduce myself and shake hands. Then he puts on his gloves back on and goes back to working the grill. Ahhhhh but there is small talk between us. Where I am from? What Burgers I have tried? Are you going to the State Fair? I tell him I am going up to Green Bay for Packers Training Camp. He tells me to try Kroll's, east of Lambeau Field. What a guy he gives me a lead!!

My Butter Burger arrives and I take a picture. The Butter Burger is not a good model. George even told me it is a hard burger to take pictures of. So sorry no pictures yet of the Butter Burger....yet!. I eat one half of the burger in seconds. Once you have one you will know why it disappears so fast. Glenn asks "How was it?" I say "Great, I could eat another!" "Good to hear." he goes. I sit there with my Coke and read the local paper. People are leaving again and Glenn says bye to all by name. He takes time from the grill to sign my Hamburger America book and to have his picture taken by me.

I finish my Coke and leave $$ from my bill. "Hold on" Glenn goes. "I have another Butter Burger for you, on the house." The Man himself, The King of Butter Burgers gives me "one on the house!!!" "To go?" he asks. "No, I will eat it here." Mmmmmm Butter Burger.... I did make a mess this time. Some butter dripped onto my left lap. I get up and I thank Glenn. He calls me by name as I leave, thanking me and to come again. People like Glenn is what makes Burger Joints special. Cares for the product but even more cares about his customers.

Off to Green Bay!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree that taking burger pics isn't the easiest thing in the world. Cool posts. Can't wait to read more.

Wauna-burger said...

I think it has to do with the lighting in most of the places I visit. Still learning on the fly about taking pictures. The hard part is having people looking at you and going "Why is he taking a picture of his food??"