Sunday, September 28, 2008

The Great Burger Road Trip Day 2 Cont.



Aug. 5th afternoon. Well I get up to Green Bay about 1 pm. I have a room about a 1/2 mile from Lambeau Field. I have my lead from Glenn to try a burger joint. He told me to try Kroll's. Well there is one downtown Green Bay and one next to Lambeau Field on the West side of the stadium. I go to Kroll's West by the Stadium, no burger though I want a Beer! I have a few pints and watch the circus that is Brett Favre and the Packers on the news. I then head over to Training Camp. I will not go into detail but any football fan should visit Lambeau Field. As pictured above is Donald Driver taking a ride on a kids bike to practice. One of the traditions of training camp is players riding bikes to practice. So I take in the camp and the other events of Training Camp. Around 6 pm I go to the Stadium View Bar and Grill that is East of the Stadium. I go there most the time if I am at a Packers game but have never ordered food. I have a beer and order my burger and fries. I order it medium rare, "Sorry" the Bartender goes " All orders are cooked medium well." I say "Fine." My burger arrives and it is the driest thing I have every ate. I should have said no to the burger when they told me how well it was going to be done. The bun was the star of this burger. Now I would still go to the Stadium View for the drinks and atmosphere of a game day but I will never have a burger there again. Off to my hotel and fall asleep to a John Wayne Western on TV.

The next day I am up early to catch a Packers practice. I kill time till 11 am when Curly's Pub opens inside Lambeau. Well I get there and check the prices for a burger.... Ahh no when you have to pay $10 for a burger forget it. I then head across to Kroll's West. I order and Burger and a Cheeseburger. I like to compare the two sometimes, if I have room. The roll is toasted and they also put butter on there burgers. Lets say it does not come close to the Butter Burger at Solly's. You can taste the butter....barely. I should have listen Glenn and gone to the one East of Lambeau in downtown Green Bay. Live and learn I guess.

Off to home. I am burgered out!! No burgers for me thank you, for awhile anyway. The whole trip was about 350 miles. Less then what was planned thank God. Was going to do Chicago, Milwaukee, Green Bay and the
Twin Cities. Glad I listen to that little voice in my head!!

Overall a great time. Met Glenn and got to visit Lambeau Field. Still many adventures to come.

No comments: