Sunday, November 2, 2008

The Village Bar & Main Depot



The Village Bar 3801 Mineral Point Rd. Madison WI 608-233-9956

Once again I am going off Doug Moe's list of places to get a good Burger in Madison WI. My first stop is The Village Bar. It is a small place, probably seat a dozen at the bar and about a half dozen tables. This bar was made famous when a cabbie took Jerry Seinfeld here when he asked about a good burger. Now my cook/bartender is Nick. He made my visit to the Village Bar enjoyable. I order a Cheeseburger and a beer. Nick walks over puts my patty on the griddle, adds some seasoning. Turns around to make small talk with me again. Within a couple short minutes it is flipped, cheese added and my bun thrown on the griddle to warm it. Ta Da that simple. It comes on a small paper plate, no fancy china here. I really like the seasoning of this burger. It reminds my of a Lawry's season salt. Which it maybe I could not tell. They get their burger from Sentry's Grocery store, ground that day I do not know but they are not frozen patties. I had a nice time there and the burger hit the spot. When you sit at the bar you can see a local golf course and the people chasing a little white ball. I will have to get back to the Village Bar and talk with the bartenders again and have a burger.

Main Depot 627 W. Main St. Madison WI 608-257-3100

Ok this place is a typical tavern in a small town in WI. The only thing is this in a city of 250,000. Just think back to 80 yrs ago. The griddle is small, the decor is awesome. Take a look at the ceiling, decorative molding from way back. The beer is cold but pricey for a small bar. I got there @ 1 pm and ordered a Cheeseburger and fries. I hear the burger hit the griddle. A little butter on the bun and it also goes on the griddle. The bun is the star of this burger. Think Brat Bun but shaped as a Hamburger Bun. The burger was OK, nothing to cheer about. That is why I said the Bun was the star. Always a bad sign. I would not put the burger in the Top Ten of Madison Places for a burger. I know there has to be better ones out there then this one.

Now the tavern itself is great. If you go make sure you take in everything. A lot of nick knacks and UW-Badger stuff. I could see coming here for a cold brew before going to a Badger game. The Kohl Center is just a few blocks away.

The picture on the left is the Village Bar, the right Main Depot.

No comments: