Saturday, November 22, 2008

Three Burgers in a Day, "Burp"


This event happen Nov. 8th 2008

Blue Moon Bar & Grill
2535 University Avenue
Madison, WI 53705
608-233-0441


I have gone on a Burger Trip before but that was over a couple days. Well that cloudy day I was on a mission to put down three of the Best Burgers in Madison.

The first stop was Blue Moon Bar and Grill. I have ate burgers a couple of times at The Blue Moon. I don't know how many burgers they serve in a week but it has to be a good number. I have learn from doing this blog, I have to work on my reporting skills to ask more questions to the owners/cooks!!! I should have taken a picture of the grill area. Two fryers only and a small griddle. With such a small grill area you may be surprised that Blue Moon is always up there with the other Best Burger in Madison (Dotty's, Plaza for example)

I order a "Best in Town Burger," with name like that I can't go wrong correct!! I add cheese and get a beer. I order it medium. I always feel sorry for people who order their burger well done. I would guess the burger is about 7-8 oz. I sit and make small talk with people around me at the bar. The Badger football game is on, so that is most of the talk.

I get my burger in a basket with dill pickle spears (pictured.) I don't add anything, no Ketchup or Mustard. I am trying to wean myself off Ketchup. Don't want to cover the flavor of my burger. Learn that from Louis Lunch spot in Hamburger America. Ketchup is such a strong flavor. Mustard I will do now and then. I take a couple bites. Nicely cooked, crispy on the outside, juicy with some pink in the middle. Tip my hat off to the cook!! Ordered it medium, got it medium. The bun is big and is like a kaiser bun but not hard. I have my burger done in minutes. Want to order another but doing other burgers later in the day.

Now Dotty's gets all the praise in Madison but The Blue Moon is not far behind. If you do make it there, Blue Moon makes good Chili also.

After eating a burger at Blue Moon, my plan was to go do a Plaza Burger and then go to Dotty's. I have had both burgers before and have talked about them here on my blog. It is just after 2 pm when I get to the Plaza. The Plaza Tavern is doing good business. I order a Plaza Burger and a glass of Point Beer. I think I got an extra helping of Plaza sauce on this order. It was extra messy!!! I won't go into detail about the burger I have done that before, Plaza Burger. All I will say it hit the spot.

I walk past Five Guys on my way to Dotty's. I want to go in but I am sticking to my plan. I get to Dotty's in no time, about a five minute walk. It is packed at Dotty's. I even had a hard time finding a seat at the bar. I do find a seat and order a "Classic Burger" with cheese. Jeff Stanely the owner is at the end of the bar. He is watching the Badger game. I have not talked or seen Jeff since George Motz was at Dotty's for the book tour. Before I know it he is gone... His daughter is there also, working. Rachael is busy but she makes time to talk to me. She knows I am a burger nut from other chats. Like I wrote before... Dotty's.... Rachael makes a trip to Dotty's enjoyable. I always like chatting with her, when she is not busy!!!

My burger arrives quicker then I thought it would with the size of the crowd. I am still wondering
after my first bite if I can finish this burger after having two others. Well after a few other bites I realize I can. It is good and there is a reason it is a top burger in Madison. That was the KO punch though. When I got home later I did fall asleep for a couple hours.

So there you go, I did the three Burger spots that get the most word of mouth in Madison.....in one day!!! So which one is best????? Well here is my answer, opinion

Each one is best in its own way. Oh I am dodging the question, no wait. The Plaza Burger to me is a Specialty Burger, special sauce. The burger at Dotty's is on a open flame, which is not that common. Blue Moon is the traditional flat griddle. Also each experience is different each time I visit. For one you get a different cook sometimes at these places, which makes a difference. If you do need a true answer I would say Blue Moon was the best that day...maybe because it was my first one of the day!!!!

No comments: